Jobscan users have been hired by:
Cover Letter Do’s and Don’ts
- Customize a cover letter for every job application that asks for one.
- Incorporate the top skills or keywords from the job description in your cover letter.
- Include the company address and point of contact’s name on your cover letter.
- Incorporate relevant and compelling measurable results in your cover letter.
- Explain, briefly, any dramatic shifts in a career (i.e. you are changing industries or job titles).
- Use company information to relate your interest in the job.
- Include the job title and company name for which you are applying in the letter.
- Keep your cover letter as short and concise as possible.
- Convey WHY you are right for the position.
- Use a cover letter unless one was requested.
- Attach a cover letter directly to your resume unless requested to do so.
- Use the same boiler-plate cover letter for multiple job applications.
- Over-explain your work history, employment gaps, or qualifications – save it for the interview.
- Badmouth any of your past employers.
- Use the cover letter to complain or tell about your job search journey.