Thinking of using ChatGPT to write your resume? You’re not alone. Nearly half of job seekers have tried doing this.
However, ChatGPT is far from perfect, and there are downsides to relying on it too much.
In this article we’ll show you how to use ChatGPT to write a resume for your job search, but we’ll also cover alternative smart tools that might be a better option than using ChatGPT.
What is ChatGPT and how does it work?
ChatGPT is an artificial intelligence computer program developed by a company called OpenAI.
For users, ChatGPT acts as a kind of virtual assistant. You simply type a message or a question into ChatGPT, and it replies with an answer or more information, just like in a chat.
The messages and questions you type into ChatGPT are called “prompts.”
But ChatGPT does more than just answer questions using natural language. It can do all kinds of things, including writing documents like resumes and cover letters.
Step-by-step guide to using ChatGPT for resume writing
Step 1: Create a ChatGPT account
If you don’t already have a ChatGPT account you’ll need to create one. It’s simple. Go to chat.OpenAI.com and register with your email address or a Google or Microsoft account. The basic version of ChatGPT is free
Once registered, you’ll find yourself on the homepage. Do you see the area where it says “Message ChatGPT” at the bottom? This is where you’ll paste your prompts.
When it comes to writing a standout resume, the right prompts can make all the difference. Let’s dive into some of the best ChatGPT prompts specifically designed for resume writing.
Step 2: Ask ChatGPT what it needs
If you’re starting your resume from scratch, you need to tell ChatGPT about yourself to get the ball rolling. This will be your first prompt.
Write a sentence or two describing who you are professionally, then ask ChatGPT to tell you what information it needs to start writing your resume.
ChatGPT prompt examples:
- “I am a recent graduate with a degree in computer science looking to start my career in software development. What information do you need to start creating my resume?”
- “I have been working in the marketing sector for the past 5 years and am now looking to transition into a digital marketing role. What information do you need to start creating my resume?”
- “I am a sales executive planning to step up to a managerial role. What information do you need to start creating my resume?”
Once you do this, ChatGPT will provide you with a list of things it needs. While this list will vary based on your situation, there are some common elements that are typically required.
Let’s go through some of the main sections of a typical resume and see how ChatGPT can help you write them.
Step 3: Use ChatGPT to write your resume headline
Hiring managers only spend seconds scanning your resume. That’s why having a resume headline is important.
A resume headline is a one-line statement that sits right under your contact information. It should summarize your key strengths so the hiring manager can tell at a glance who you are.
ChatGPT Prompt for a resume headline:
“Create a resume headline for me. I have [number of years] years of experience in [your field/industry], specializing in [key skills or areas of expertise]. I’m seeking a role in [specific job or industry you’re targeting].”
“Create a resume headline for me. I have 5 years of experience in digital marketing, specializing in SEO, content marketing, and social media strategy. I’m seeking a role in a forward-thinking digital marketing agency.”
Resume headline generated by ChatGPT:
“Digital Marketing Expert with 5 Years in SEO & Social Media Seeking Innovative Agency Role”
Step 4: Use ChatGPT to write your resume summary
A resume summary provides a slightly more detailed overview of your skills, experience, and achievements. It appears under your headline.
Together, your headline and summary help make a strong first impression and encourage the hiring manager to read further.
ChatGPT prompt for a professional summary:
“Create a resume summary for me. I have [number of years] years of experience in [your field/industry]. My key skills include [list key skills or areas of expertise]. I have achieved [mention notable achievements or milestones]. I’m looking for opportunities in [specific job or industry you’re targeting] where I can [mention your goals or what you hope to accomplish in the new role].”
“Create a resume summary for me. I have 8 years of experience in financial analysis and management. My key skills include data analysis, budget forecasting, and financial reporting. I have achieved significant cost savings for my current company through strategic budget management. I’m looking for opportunities in senior financial management where I can utilize my expertise to drive financial efficiency and growth.”
Resume summary generated by ChatGPT:
“Seasoned Financial Analyst and Manager with 8 years of experience in data-driven decision making and strategic financial planning. Proficient in data analysis, budget forecasting, and financial reporting, with a proven track record of achieving cost savings through effective budget management. Seeking a senior financial management role to leverage my expertise in driving financial efficiency and organizational growth.”
Step 5: Use ChatGPT to write your measurable work achievements
Your work experience section is the most important part of your resume. This is where you list your past jobs. You should list your jobs in reverse-chronological order, from most recent to least recent.
In this section, it’s crucial to highlight your measurable achievements. Measurable achievements are specific accomplishments in your career that can be described using numbers and metrics. For example, “increased online sales by 30%.”
Your resume shouldn’t just tell potential employers what you did, but how well you did it.
ChatGPT prompt for work experience and achievements
“Help me write the work experience section for my resume. Create a bullet point for each accomplishment. Here are my first job details:
- Job Title: Marketing Manager
- Company: ABC Corp
- Duration: January 2018 – Present
- Key Responsibilities: Lead a team of 5 marketing specialists, oversee all digital marketing campaigns, manage the marketing budget, and coordinate with sales teams to align marketing strategies with sales objectives.
- Significant Achievements: Increased online sales by 30% through targeted social media campaigns and SEO optimization.”
Work experience section generated by ChatGPT:
ABC Corp, January 2018 – Present
- Spearheaded a team of 5 marketing specialists, driving the development and execution of comprehensive digital marketing campaigns.
- Managed and allocated the marketing budget efficiently, ensuring optimal use of resources for maximum impact.
- Oversaw all aspects of digital marketing, including content strategy, email marketing, social media, and SEO, leading to a cohesive and effective online presence.
- Collaborated closely with sales teams to align marketing strategies with sales objectives, ensuring a unified approach to market penetration and customer outreach.
- Achieved a significant milestone by increasing online sales by 30% through targeted social media campaigns and SEO optimization, demonstrating a strong ability to connect with and engage the target audience effectively.
- Implemented innovative marketing techniques and analytics tools to track campaign performance, enabling data-driven decisions that continually improved marketing efforts.
How to use ChatGPT to tailor your resume
Congratulations! You’ve used ChatGPT to create your resume. But you’re not done yet. Now it’s time to tailor your resume for each job you apply for.
Why? Because most companies today use applicant tracking systems (ATS) to help them hire people. This is computer software that collects and organizes the resumes it receives into a database.
Hiring managers find suitable job candidates by typing keywords into the ATS database search bar. These keywords are skills or job titles that are relevant to the role they want to fill.
If your resume doesn’t contain these keywords it won’t be found.
You can find the keywords to add to your resume in the job description. That’s why you should always paste the job description into ChatGPT as part of your resume prompt for tailoring your resume.
ChatGPT prompt for tailoring a resume for a specific job:
“Help me tailor my resume for a specific job application. I will provide the job description and my resume. Please adjust my resume to highlight the most relevant experiences and skills that align with the job requirements. Also, suggest any changes or additions that would make my resume more appealing for this position.”
How to use ChatGPT to update your resume
If you already have an existing resume but want to fine tune or update it, this prompt can create a resume that reflects your continued growth and readiness for new opportunities:
ChatGPT prompt to update your resume:
“Hello ChatGPT, I recently came across a job opportunity that aligns perfectly with my career goals, and I would like to update my resume.
Here is my current resume [insert resume].
Here is the description of the job I’m applying for [insert job description].
In terms of updates, I have recently completed a project management certification course that I would like to add to the certifications section. Additionally, I have taken on new responsibilities at my current job over the past year, which include leading a team of five in developing a new feature set for our flagship product and spearheading a successful collaboration with the marketing team to enhance user engagement. I would like these details to be incorporated into the work experience section under my current role.
Furthermore, I have acquired new skills in data analytics and machine learning that I believe would be beneficial to highlight in the skills section of my resume.”
How to use ChatGPT to create a career change resume
ChatGPT prompt for creating a career change resume:
“Hello ChatGPT, I am gearing up to make a career shift from retail management to a position in the digital marketing sphere. I am keen on developing my resume so it underscores the transferable skills and knowledge that equip me to excel in this new field.
Here is my current resume [insert resume].
Here is the description of the job I’m applying for [insert job description].
I am eager to channel the extensive experience I’ve garnered in retail management, where I honed my abilities in customer relations, team leadership, and strategic planning, into a flourishing career in digital marketing. My educational background includes a Bachelor of Business Administration from XYZ University, where I took relevant courses such as Marketing Principles, Consumer Behavior, and Digital Media Strategies, which I anticipate will be pertinent in my forthcoming role.
On the professional front, I have a rich history in retail, with notable stints as a Retail Manager at ABC Retailers and an Assistant Store Manager at DEF Retailers. During these roles, I initiated and led several successful projects and campaigns that significantly boosted both revenue and customer engagement. I am now eager to leverage this background to make a meaningful impact in the digital marketing realm.”
The benefits of using ChatGPT to write your resume
There are two major reasons why you should consider using ChatGPT to write your resume.
1) It will save you time. Crafting a resume can be a time-consuming process, especially when you are trying to tailor it to a specific job description. ChatGPT can help streamline this process, saving you valuable time.
2) It will save you money. ChatGPT is free. So you’ll be able to craft a high-quality resume without spending a dime.
The limitations of using ChatGPT to write your resume
ChatGPT can be a valuable tool in crafting a resume, but there are also some drawbacks to consider.
1) ChatGPT doesn’t really know you. It might not be able to highlight your unique strengths and qualities as effectively as you can.
2) ChatGPT often uses generic language. There is a risk that your resume will sound like everybody else’s resume.
3) ChatGPT is often inaccurate. It “hallucinates” and misunderstands prompts all the time.
4) ChatGPT doesn’t provide resume templates. It lacks the specialized formatting options that dedicated resume-building software provides. This makes it more challenging to create a visually appealing and professional-looking resume.
5) ChatGPT doesn’t score your resume. It can’t analyze how well your resume matches the job description. This feature is commonly found in specialized resume optimization tools.
6) ChatGPT can’t identify important keywords. It’s unable to analyze job descriptions to identify crucial keywords that employers might be searching the ATS for.
7) ChatGPT cannot tell you if your resume is ATS-compatible. This means that even if your resume is well-written, it might not be structured or formatted in a way that is ATS-friendly.
8) ChatGPT might prevent you from getting your dream job. In one survey, 40 percent of respondents said the interviewer was aware they used ChatGPT to write their resume – and 35 percent said they didn’t get the job because of it.
Despite these limitations, ChatGPT can still serve as a useful starting point, especially if you’re feeling stuck or unsure about how to begin crafting your resume.
Jobscan creates a better resume than ChatGPT
While ChatGPT can help you create a resume, it was not specifically designed for that purpose. That’s why we recommend using Jobscan instead.
To use the scanner, just…
Step 1: Paste your resume into the scanner.
Step 2: Paste the description of the job you’re applying for into the scanner.
Step 3: Click “scan”.
You’ll then receive a score that tells you how closely your resume matches the job description.
Here’s an example of Jobscan’s resume score and keyword suggestions:
Increase your score by adding the keywords “answering phones,” “electronic health records,” and “maintain confidentiality” to your resume.
To make resume optimization even faster and more effective, try our Power Edit feature (available to Jobscan’s Premium users).
For example, Power Edit shows you how to seamlessly integrate missing keywords into your resume. All you have to do is click on a keyword and you’ll see multiple phrase suggestions you can choose from:
Try Jobscan for free by pasting in your resume and job description below. (Premium users will be taken directly to the Power Edit feature):
Make your resume stand out and get noticed
Upload your resume to see what’s missing and get a free match rate.
How to use ChatGPT to write your cover letter
Do you hate writing cover letters? ChatGPT can do it for you!
Just provide ChatGPT with a prompt that includes your background information, the job you’re applying for, and key points you wish to address.
ChatGPT prompt for writing a cover letter:
“Write a cover letter for a marketing manager position. I have 5 years of experience in digital marketing, with a focus on social media strategy and content creation. I’m particularly skilled in driving engagement and increasing online presence.”
This tool uses your personal resume and a real job listing to create a 100% original cover letter that is ATS-friendly and tailored to the job you’re applying for.
Best practices for using ChatGPT for your resume
Creating a resume and cover letter with ChatGPT involves more than just giving it your relevant information. It’s about strategically guiding the tool to tailor your narrative, ensuring that your unique skills and experiences are highlighted.
Here are some best practices to ensure you get the most out of ChatGPT:
- Be specific with your prompts: Provide clear and detailed information in your prompts to ChatGPT. The more specific your prompts, the more tailored and relevant the output will be.
- Personalize the output: While ChatGPT can generate a solid foundation for your resume, it’s important to add a personal touch. Customize the content to reflect your voice and unique experiences.
- Verify and edit the information: Always review and edit the information provided by ChatGPT. Check for grammar errors and inaccuracies.
- Highlight key achievements: Encourage ChatGPT to focus on quantifiable achievements in your career. Use prompts that lead to results-oriented statements, showcasing your impact in previous roles.
- Keep it concise: Resumes should be concise and to the point. Guide ChatGPT to produce succinct, impactful content, avoiding overly verbose or generic statements.
Should you use ChatGPT to write your resume?
Using ChatGPT to write your resume can be helpful for drafting and getting ideas, but it should be supplemented with your own input for personalization and accuracy.
If you don’t personalize your ChatGPT resume, it will seem bland and boring. Hiring managers and recruiters will suspect that your resume is AI-generated, which will cause them to reject it.
We recommend using Jobscan’s resume scanner instead of ChatGPT. Unlike ChatGPT, Jobscan’s tool has been specifically designed to create professional resumes that are both ATS-friendly and tailored to the job you’re applying to.
What is a ChatGPT resume?
A ChatGPT resume is a resume created using the ChatGPT AI language model. It allows users to input their information and receive a generated resume in return. While it can be a helpful tool for inspiration, it’s important to review and edit the generated content to ensure accuracy and quality.
Can you use ChatGPT to write a resume?
Yes, you can use ChatGPT to write a resume, but it’s important to ensure the content accurately represents your skills and experiences.
How do I ask ChatGPT to tailor my resume?
If you want ChatGPT to tailor your resume to a specific job, provide it with the job description and ask it to align your resume with the skills and requirements outlined in the description.
What will employers think about using ChatGPT with your resume?
Employers’ perspectives on using ChatGPT to assist with your resume may vary; some may appreciate that you’re embracing new technology, while others might wonder if you lack the skills needed to do the job.
What are ChatGPT resume prompts?
ChatGPT resume prompts are questions or statements that tell ChatGPT how to create a personalized resume for you.