Are you considering using ChatGPT to write your resume? Lots of people are doing it. In fact, one survey indicates that close to half of all job seekers are now using ChatGPT to help them write their resumes. And 78 percent of respondents reported getting an interview with a ChatGPT-generated resume.
In this article, we’re going to teach you step-by-step how to use ChatGPT to build your resume from scratch, fine-tune it, and even tailor your resume to specific job openings.
However, it’s not all good news. ChatGPT is far from perfect, and there are downsides to relying on it too much.
That’s why we’re also going to cover alternative smart tools that might be a better option than using ChatGPT.
1) Get started with ChatGPT
If you don’t already have a ChatGPT account you’ll need to create one. It’s simple. Go to chat.OpenAI.com and register with your email address or a Google or Microsoft account.
Once registered, you’ll find yourself on the homepage (see below). Do you see the bar where it says “send a message” at the bottom? This is where you’ll paste your prompts.
2) Get your information ready
Here’s a list of the basic information that you’ll need to start creating your prompt:
What you’ll need to get started:
- Your full name, address (city, state only) phone number, email address, and LinkedIn profile.
- A brief summary that highlights your career goals and qualifications.
- A list of your previous work experience including the company name, your role, the duration of your employment, and a brief description of your responsibilities and achievements at each position.
- A list of skills that are relevant to the job you are applying for. These can be both hard (technical) and soft (interpersonal) skills.
- Your educational background including the institutions you attended, degrees obtained, and any relevant honors or awards.
- Information about any certifications, courses, or training programs you have completed that are relevant to your career.
- Details about volunteer work, any significant projects you have worked on, or publications you have contributed to.
3) Ask ChatGPT what information it needs from you
While the above list of information is a good place to start, you can also ask ChatGPT what it needs.
But first, you’ll need to provide ChatGPT with a few details about yourself so you can get a more personalized list.
Here are some sample prompts you could put into ChatGPT:
- I am a recent graduate with a degree in computer science looking to start my career in software development. What information do you need to start creating my resume?
- I have been working in the marketing sector for the past 5 years and am now looking to transition into a digital marketing role. What information do you need to start creating my resume?
- I have a background in graphic design and want to explore opportunities in UX/UI design. What information do you need to start creating my resume?
- I am a professional with extensive experience in project management, aiming to secure a senior position in a reputed firm. What information do you need to start creating my resume?
- I am a sales executive planning to step up to a managerial role. What information do you need to start creating my resume?
4) Gather your professional information
As you prepare your work information, there are a couple of things to keep in mind if you want to create a strong resume.
1) Try to think of what you accomplished at work. This could be a successful project you led, a goal you reached, or any recognition you received.
Most people just list their job responsibilities on their resume. These are duties they’re expected to perform at their job – like answering phones, writing code, or responding to customer queries.
These job duties tell what you did at work, but accomplishments tell how well you did them.
2) Try to quantify your achievements with numbers or metrics. Doing this will help prospective employers understand the tangible impact and value you brought to your previous roles.
Here’s an example of a resume work experience section that quantifies achievements effectively:
5) Decide on a resume format
Your prompt should also tell ChatGPT how to format your resume. This is how your information is organized.
We recommend the hybrid resume format. In this format, your skills section comes before your work experience.
Why do we recommend this format?
Because, in today’s job market, skills are more valuable than ever. So you should showcase them near the top of your resume. This allows potential employers to quickly identify your strengths.
Here’s an example of a hybrid resume’s skills section. Note that it comes before the work experience section:
6) Include the job description
To increase your chances of getting an interview, tailor your resume for each job you apply for.
Why? Because most companies today use applicant tracking systems (ATS) to help them hire people. This is computer software that collects and organizes the resumes it receives into a database.
Hiring managers find suitable job candidates by typing keywords into the ATS database search bar. These keywords are skills or job titles that are relevant to the role they want to fill.
If your resume doesn’t contain these keywords it won’t be found.
You can find the keywords to add to your resume in the job description. That’s why you should always paste the job description into ChatGPT as part of your resume prompt.
Here’s an example of a job description. If you were applying to this job, you’d simply cut and paste this text into ChatGPT along with your resume:
7) Put everything together into one resume prompt
Now you’re ready to give ChatGPT everything it needs to create a personalized resume that’s tailored to the job you’re applying for.
Here are some sample prompts to help you create your own. Remember, the more detail you can provide in your prompt the better.
NOTE: These examples are for illustration purposes and are not quite as detailed as yours should be.
Sample prompt for writing a brand new resume using ChatGPT
Hello, ChatGPT. Please create a hybrid resume for me based on the following information:
Here’s my contact information: [provide contact information].
In 2022 I graduated with a degree in Computer Science from Prestigious Tech University, where I specialized in Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning. During my time at university, I engaged in several projects where I honed my skills in Python, Java, and C++. One of my notable projects was developing a predictive analytics tool that helped in optimizing supply chain processes for a local business.
I am eager to start my career in the software development industry, where I can apply my knowledge and grow professionally. I am particularly interested in joining innovative start-ups or tech companies that focus on AI-driven solutions. I am adept at working both independently and in collaborative team environments. I have a knack for problem-solving and am always eager to learn and adapt to new technologies and methodologies.
In addition to my technical skills, I have developed strong communication and organizational abilities through internships at renowned companies like TechCorp and InnovateX. During my internships, I was responsible for developing software solutions to automate various business processes, which resulted in a 30% increase in operational efficiency. I also volunteered as a coding mentor at a community center, where I helped young enthusiasts learn the basics of programming.
Here is a description of the job I’m applying for: [insert job description]
Sample prompt for updating your resume
If you already have a resume but want to refresh or update it, this prompt can create a resume that reflects your continued growth and readiness for new opportunities:
Hello ChatGPT, I recently came across a job opportunity that aligns perfectly with my career goals, and I would like to update my resume.
Here is my current resume [insert resume].
Here is the description of the job I’m applying for [insert job description].
In terms of updates, I have recently completed a project management certification course that I would like to add to the certifications section. Additionally, I have taken on new responsibilities at my current job over the past year, which include leading a team of five in developing a new feature set for our flagship product and spearheading a successful collaboration with the marketing team to enhance user engagement. I would like these details to be incorporated into the work experience section under my current role.
Furthermore, I have acquired new skills in data analytics and machine learning that I believe would be beneficial to highlight in the skills section of my resume.
Sample prompt for creating a career change resume
Hello ChatGPT, I am gearing up to make a career shift from retail management to a position in the digital marketing sphere. I am keen on developing my resume so it underscores the transferable skills and knowledge that equip me to excel in this new field.
Here is my current resume [insert resume].
Here is the description of the job I’m applying for [insert job description].
I am eager to channel the extensive experience I’ve garnered in retail management, where I honed my abilities in customer relations, team leadership, and strategic planning, into a flourishing career in digital marketing. My educational background includes a Bachelor of Business Administration from XYZ University, where I took relevant courses such as Marketing Principles, Consumer Behavior, and Digital Media Strategies, which I anticipate will be pertinent in my forthcoming role.
On the professional front, I have a rich history in retail, with notable stints as a Retail Manager at ABC Retailers and an Assistant Store Manager at DEF Retailers. During these roles, I initiated and led several successful projects and campaigns that significantly boosted both revenue and customer engagement. I am now eager to leverage this background to make a meaningful impact in the digital marketing realm.
The advantages of using ChatGPT to write your resume
There are two major reasons why you should consider using ChatGPT to write your resume.
1) It will save you time. Crafting a resume can be a time-consuming process, especially when you are trying to tailor it to a specific job description. ChatGPT can help streamline this process, saving you valuable time.
2) It will save you money. ChatGPT is free. So you’ll be able to craft a high-quality resume without spending a dime.
The disadvantages of using ChatGPT to write your resume
ChatGPT can be a valuable tool in crafting a resume, but there are also some drawbacks to consider.
1) ChatGPT doesn’t really know you. It might not be able to highlight your unique strengths and qualities as effectively as you can.
2) ChatGPT often uses generic language. There is a risk that your resume will sound like everybody else’s resume.
3) ChatGPT is often inaccurate. It “hallucinates” and misunderstands prompts all the time.
4) ChatGPT doesn’t provide resume templates. It lacks the specialized formatting options that dedicated resume-building software provides. This makes it more challenging to create a visually appealing and professional-looking resume.
5) ChatGPT doesn’t score your resume. It can’t analyze how well your resume matches the job description. This feature is commonly found in specialized resume optimization tools.
6) ChatGPT can’t identify important keywords. It’s unable to analyze job descriptions to identify crucial keywords that employers might be searching the ATS for.
7) ChatGPT cannot tell you if your resume is ATS-compatible. This means that even if your resume is well-written, it might not be structured or formatted in a way that is ATS-friendly.
8) ChatGPT might prevent you from getting the job. In one survey, 40 percent of respondents said the interviewer was aware they used ChatGPT to write their resume – and 35 percent said they didn’t get the job because of it.
Despite these limitations, ChatGPT can still serve as a useful starting point, especially if you’re feeling stuck or unsure about how to begin crafting your resume.
A better alternative to using ChatGPT to write your resume
While ChatGPT can help you create a resume, it was not specifically designed for that purpose. That’s why we recommend using Jobscan instead.
To use the scanner, just…
Step 1: Paste your resume into the scanner.
Step 2: Paste the description of the job you’re applying for into the scanner.
Step 3: Click “scan”.
You’ll then receive a score that tells you how closely your resume matches the job description.
Here’s an example of Jobscan’s resume score and keyword suggestions:
Increase your score by adding the keywords “answering phones,” “electronic health records,” and “maintain confidentiality” to your resume.
To make resume optimization even faster and more effective, try our Power Edit feature (available to Jobscan’s Premium users).
For example, Power Edit shows you how to seamlessly integrate missing keywords into your resume. All you have to do is click on a keyword and you’ll see multiple phrase suggestions you can choose from:
Try Jobscan for free by pasting in your resume and job description below. (Premium users will be taken directly to the Power Edit feature):
Make your resume stand out and get noticed
Upload your resume to see what’s missing and get a free match rate.
Can you use ChatGPT to write a resume?
Yes, you can use ChatGPT to write a resume, but it’s important to ensure the content accurately represents your skills and experiences.
How do I ask ChatGPT to tailor my resume?
If you want ChatGPT to tailor your resume to a specific job, provide it with the job description and ask it to align your resume with the skills and requirements outlined in the description.
What will employers think about using ChatGPT with your resume?
Employers’ perspectives on using ChatGPT to assist with your resume may vary; some may appreciate that you’re embracing new technology, while others might wonder if you lack the skills needed to do the job.
What are ChatGPT resume prompts?
ChatGPT resume prompts are questions or statements that tell ChatGPT how to create a personalized resume for you.
More expert insights on this topic: